Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Best of November 2015 Part 1 - Freakonomics Radio - Food + Science = Victory!


   How often do you cook? Once a week? Twice? There's been a huge push in the last few years to eat local, cook your own food and eat organic and like everyone else who has a connection to the internet I've been trying to figure out how to eat healthier.
   Starting over half a decade ago, first quitting soda (before I quit smoking even) and moving toward cutting out fast food and eventually into creating home cooked meals and shopping at the local farmer's markets, monitoring what goes into my body has become a full time job. I spend almost as much time learning about how a food is good for you as I do cooking it. With so much information available today even when you get some answers there are other sources that claim the exact opposite.
   Take a look at kale! The push for people to start eating kale was huge the past couple years. I wasn't around when the broccoli heads were still a topic of conversation but I'd imagine this recent kale movement rivals even that. But with a big push to do something comes the push from the exact opposite direction and that push came under the name of cancer. That's right, fresh, raw kale is slightly cancerous. Is that true? I don't know, go google it for an hour and let me know what you find below.
   That's why any well put together podisode about food or nutrition really grabs my attention. Any trustworthy knowledge on these topics can only add to your life in a positive way. I don't want to be the guy who repeats the mantra of the current zeitgeist (or do I?) but it has to be said; Cooking your own food will change your life.
   In this podcast you'll here Kenji López-Alt, the managing culinary director of www.seriouseats.com and science food writer, will be your guide to the world of food science. Then later at the end Jo Robinson comes out with all sorts of fun facts about the food we eat today. She's part of a group that lobbied against Coca-Cola being sold (like, at all) and were known for being critical of the Agricultural Department for saying we should eat white bread instead of whole-grain. These two give some pretty good insights into the world of food so why not see what you can bring from the Freakonomics universe into your own kitchen?


   Got extra time this week? First of all, HOW!? So many good podcasts have already filled up my queue! However, if you really do want to go back to the beginning of November you should definitely check out the 99% Invisible from the 10th. It's about the first public drinking fountain in London. The date? April 21st, 1859. That's right, not that long ago. Give it a listen!


   As a bonus for the hardcore listeners of podcasts out there wondering how to make a podcast (how to make a FREE podcast) the right way check out The Wisest. Rhonda Olson had an amazing idea for a show and made it happen. The podcast follows her search for the wisest person alive by referral only. I can't really say much else about it except that I'm 3 episodes in and I'm loving it. Everything from the idea to her interview style jives with what I look for in a podcast. Check it out and let me know what you think below!

No comments:

Post a Comment